ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT
FACULTY PROFILES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
About the Department: The Mechanical Engineering Department covers various mechanical engineering disciplines and reaches out into a wide variety of application areas including armaments, combat vehicles, marine engineering, space, control, and many others. The department has good number of faculty strength and have exposure with a broad experience in various research areas such as SeIf healing composite structures, Impact dynamics of composite structures, Repairing technology and Life assessment of composite structures, Mechanical behavior of materials for Defense applications, High-speed machining/green machining of aerospace materials, CFD, Two-Phase Flow, Vehicle dynamics and Condition monitoring etc. The department is weII equipped with high-end research facilities viz. miniature gas turbine test facility, PIV system, High-Performance Computing facility in mechanical system design and analysis and, the department possessed many updated softwares on modelling, analysis and design of machines and mechanisms. Department has successfuIIy compIeted many outstanding research and development projects with an importance to defense such as CFD analysis of HP turbine of Kaveri engine, FE analysis of suspension system of ICV Abhay and Iong range mortar (120 mm) etc. AIso, the department is aiming to carry out R & D projects on BaIIistic Penetration of Armour materiaIs, Design and Development of Spar Wingskin Joint for Integral StructuraI Construction of Aircraft wings, Development of nanofiIIer (NF)/polymer composites for armour applications and StructuraI integrity studies on LP spool for SmaII Turbo Fan Engine in future.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- The Department endeavors to become Centre of Excellence in Armaments/Combat vehicles, Marine engineering.
- To provide education and training to the stakeholders with the state of the art technology in Armament /Combat Vehicles, Marine Engineering through PG / Ph.D programmes.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- The interdisciplinary approach towards advances in Combat Vehicle Technology, Armament Engineering and Marine Engineering.
- Developing skillset required for R&D, Design and production of efficient and economical Armament, Combat Vehicles and Marine systems for Indian Armed Forces.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES [PEOs]
- To impart advanced training, update knowledge and skillset required for design, development, production, quality assurance and inspection of equipment to Tri-Service officers and civilian students.
- To design the curricula co-opting stakeholders in Board of Studies (BoS) prescribed by UGC in such a way that, at the end of the programme, the students should be able to undertake R&D, production, inspection, testing and evaluation of Equipment.
- To update the curricula in tune with the needs of the stakeholders and civilian students from time to time with the objective of producing a qualified and quality manpower in respective specialisations viz. Mechanical system Design, Armament and Combat Vehicles, Marine and Robotics (Interdisciplinary)
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs) :
On completion of M.Tech Programme in respective specialisations, the student should be able to
- Apply skill set developed in computing, mathematics, statistics, science and engineering to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Design and conduct experiments - analyse and interpret data for design, development, manufacturing and inspection of components;
- Understand the physics behind the problem in arriving at the optimum solution in the quickest possible time;
- Possess skillset required for logical troubleshooting of the equipment.
- Associate with multi-disciplinary teams working on major projects demanding global competencies;
- Collaborate with DRDO labs, DPSUs, industries and universities of repute in higher education, training and research,
- Review the literature data - gap analysis- Defining the problem - Modeling & Simulation - Investigation - Discussion of results – report writing – drawing conclusions etc.
- Understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
SPONSERED R&D PROJECTS
[Completed / Ongoing]
Focused Areas of Research
- SeIf healing composite structures.
- Impact dynamics of composite structures.
- Repairing technology, Life assessment of composite.
- Structures & Damage analysis in structure with joints.
- Functionally Graded Structures.
- Mechanical behavior through Nano scratching/Nano indentation & Dynamic Indentation of materials for Defence applications.
- High speed machining/green machiningof aerospacemateriaIs.
- Precision Engineering and Micromachining.
- Surface Engineering and Non-Conventional Machining.
- CFD and Two-Phase Flow.
- Vehicle dynamics & Structural dynamics.
- Condition monitoring.
Faculty Development Programmes Organised by Mechanical Engineering Department
LABORATORY FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN THE DEPARTMENT
|Name of Laboratory
Mechanical System Design and Analysis Laboratory
- High Performance Computing (HPC) Cluster (16Nodes & 256 Cores)
- High-End Computer Workstations (30)
- Integrated Building Management System (IBMS )
- Virtual Reality Lab
- ABAQUS Academic Research Software
- ANSYS Academic Research Software
- Fluent Software
- FE Safe
- Design Optimization Modules (ISIGHT,TOSCA)
- MSC Suite of Softwares
- MSC Nastran
- Patron Laminate Modeler
- MSC Fatigue
- MSC DigiMat
- Ansys Academic Composite Tool and
- Ansys n-Code Design life Standard with Ansys n-code Design life Composite
- FENSAP – ICE Academi
- Solidworks (In Process)
|Fluid and Thermal Engineering Laboratory
- Cross Flow Heat Exchanger
- Air Flow Bench
- 3 D PIV System
- Thermal Imaging Camera
- Micro-manometer Betz
- Metacentric Apparatus
|Precision and Manufacturing Laboratory
- Micro-hardness Tester (Knoop & Vickers)
- Pin on Disc (Wear & Friction Test Rig)
- Tool Maker Microscope
- Aluminium Stir Casting
- Salt Spray (Fog test) Chamber
- Surface Roughness Tester
- Coating Thickness Gauge
- Vibration Fundamental Trainer(VFT)
- Ultrasonic Cleaning Technolgy for Gun Turrent
- Active Noise Cancellation Techniques for Exhaust Ducts of Submarines
- Electrodynamic Shaker
- Fire Bird V2560
- Spark V Robot
- Fire Bird V P89V51RD2
- Robotic Arm ER2
- Fire Bird VLPC2148
Non Teaching Staff:
|Mr. Vishal Phulpagar
|Mr. Shrikant Kawade
|Mr. Amol Indalkar
|Mr. Nilesh Bankar
|Mr. Akshay Mokal
|Mr. Mani Ram